You’ll find many claims about the many uses and benefits of apple cider vinegar on the internet these days and not many are backed up by science. That doesn’t mean they aren’t true. If you are interested, it is a good candidate for experimentation.
Raw, “unfiltered” apple cider vinegar is the one to use, one that has the “mother” (strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria) in it. It is cloudier than regular vinegar.
Here is what you may find it will do:
- Help Control Blood Sugar Levels – You don’t have to be a diabetic, to benefit from controlled blood sugar levels. Elevated blood sugars are a major cause of aging and chronic diseases. Two tablespoons before bedtime can reduce fasting blood sugars by 4%.
- Help with Weight Loss – Apple cider vinegar can help in 2 ways. Having 2 tablespoons of ACV with water before a high-carb meal will cancel out some of the carbs you eat. The acetic acid found in vinegar interferes with the enzymes in your stomach responsible for digesting starch so you can’t absorb the calories from carbs you’ve eaten since fewer calories enter the bloodstream. The acetic acid also suppresses your appetite and makes you feel full longer and eat less throughout the day.
- Boost Your Energy – Next time you feel tired, try a tablespoon or 2 of ACV with water for relief. Stress and exercise can cause lactic acid to build up in the body and cause you to feel fatigued. Apple cider vinegar may be just the remedy that you need.
- Treat acid reflux and heartburn – Sixty percent of the adult population will experience acid reflux throughout the course of a year year and 20 to 30 per cent have weekly symptoms. Contributing causes of acid reflux and heartburn are an unbalanced stomach and lack of enzymes and probiotics. Apple cider vinegar will provide these. Also, the vinegar increases the acidity of the stomach, which allows it to digest the food you’ve eaten and helps propel it into the small intestine. Because slow digestion can cause acid to back up into the esophagus and create that nasty burning sensation, not to mention the uncomfortable bloating that can follow. Simply add 1-2 tablespoons of ACV to a cup of water before meals.
- Regulate Your body’s PH and detoxify – Even though vinegar is acidic in nature, it has an alkaline effect on your body. Balancing your body’s PH can reduce your risk of chronic illnesses like cancer and dramatically increase your energy.
There is a multitude of other uses, and here are a few of them to try:
All-purpose Cleaner: Mix 1 cup water, ½ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon dish soap, and a few drops of tea tree oil.
Skin-Toner: 1 part apple cider vinegar to 2 parts water, and applied with a cotton pad.
Fruit Fly Trap: Apple cider in a cup with a few drops of dish soap.
Salad Dressing: Mix together 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil, 3-4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped, Salt and pepper to taste.
Meat Marinade: Combine with garlic, soy sauce, and onion.
Homemade Weed Killer: Spray undiluted onto unwanted weeds.
Dandruff Control: Rub directly onto scalp and rinse after 20 minutes.